Vodafone scam

On September 6th, I upgraded my outmoded Vodafone to something a little more cool.

My husband already has a pay as you go phone, but I decided in addition, to buy a new battery for my old phone and take out a pay as you go contract for it. This of course entailed having a new number.

On the way home, I made two calls, one to my new phone in my handbag (on the old number) and one to home to tell my husband to put the kettle on as I was on my way (My son, Rich, is not the only tea addict in our family)

This phone is only intended as a spare, in case we lose one, or the battery on one goes down when we need it

As such, we have not given the new number to anybody at all, therefore we have received no calls or texts from friends or family. Indeed, apart from those two test calls, we have made no calls either

Imagine my surprise, then, today, when I found that of the £20 which I had paid into the phone, only £17 remained.

As I happenned to be in Swansea today, I called into the Vodafone shop to ask for an explanation.

"Oh yes, it's quite plainly all your texts" was the glib explanation.

"But I have not sent any texts!" was my reply ……

But… there on the screen was a list of incoming texts @25p or 10p each…. ALL FROM VODAFONE (the only people, of course, who know the number) together with two more incoming texts @ £1 each. These latter were timed at around midnight so, I was told, these could not have been from Vodafone as they wouldn't have sent niussance texts at that time of the night

Despite the comprehensive record of 'My' operations, no source was available for these £1 texts, which, remember were to a number which was unknown to anybody other than Vodafone

Now, to be milked of £3 may not appear to be a big deal …. but it was only because I can be absolutely certain that I WAS milked, that this came to light.

How many people are using pay as you go Vodafones, and being systematically drained on a regular basis in this way, who have no idea that it is happenning? How many parents are supplying their kids with phones, for securiy reasons, and being ripped off and blaming the kids?
Grrrr! Time to get out my Grumpy T-shirt again!

About these ads

9 thoughts on “Vodafone scam

1. Pingback: gowen.org » Blog Archive » Who pays for your phone mobile spam?

2. Colin Stewart

I am amazed at how many scams Vodafone are operating. This one where we have to pay for SMS messages received is very widespread. What do Vodafone think they are playing at? Do they really want to lose customers? It will be a long time before I consider being a client of theirs again. They used to be such a good, professional company. now they are just awful.

3. Sunny

I am a new user of Vodafone India……..who operate exactly the same scam there. It is even worse. They generate fake SMSs from your mobile to a premium number and charge 3 rupees for each message. Vodafone = a global company without ethics.

4. John

This one is an Australian vidafone scam –
    Watch out for this one – when trying to recharge prepaid sim via vodafone
    website, you may find that the transaction fails with the recommendation
    that you try again shortly. If you do you WILL be chaged again and so on. I
    have been charged 4 times for the one transaction due to a vodafone syatem
    fault and now have to wait 4 to 6 weeks to get the refund!
    Another unethical way to make money especially of people don’t check their
    transactions.

J

5. Paul

Vodafone overcharging scam!
    Has anybody else had this experience?
    **************************************************
    BEWARE WHEN YOUR VODAFONE PAPER BILL SUDDENLY STOPS.
    YOU MAY HAVE BEEN SCAMMED!
    **************************************************
    You get a call from Vodaphone to renew your contract.
    You ask for the existing contract to be continued.
    Next month you don’t get the paper bill in the post.
    You check your bank statement. You been grossly overcharged.
    You ring Vodaphone. They acknowlege it’s a mistake and it will be sorted out, and
    a refund at the next billing point.
    The following month the same thing happens again!
    You check your bank statement. You been grossly overcharged.
    a refund at the next billing point.
    … a few months later you notice you are still being grossly overcharged.
    You phone Vodaphone … this time they read back some inflated price package. They
    say there is nothing they can do about it! You need to write to them.
    You write to them. No action.
    You write to them again. No action.
    How many stamps is that?
    … etc … etc … etc …

6. Mario

This scam is going on even now on December 2009.

I bought a new phone £10 traffic plus £10 top-up, a single 30 seconds metropolitan call cost me £4 … what the f@$%&

The customer service told me I sent a text at £0.40 (my plan says £0.20 btw)

7. Geoff

One of Vodafones favourite scams is allegedly to hide behind automated email if they don’t like customers complaining, and “AND” I state they do not read their customers emails properly. I am now in a stalemate situation where I have offered Vodafone an amount I believe to owe them and not what somebody from a call centre called Mohammed thinks. Its SIMPLE Vodafone improve your customer relations. were all in a recession here.

If you want to go broadband with them do not go with a contract as their metering system is questionable especially when your signal is poor to very poor and they clain 20GB data has been sent in a month, just like the top thread their shop support is only intresting in selling to customers so it a quick `sorry sir it must be a large windows update download’.

Just to complete this picture I do regular checks for viruses and my main usage is email, online banking and occassionly eBay and Amazon.

After meeting several free to help yourself companies, lets suggest a few British Gas and Paypal come to mind, I no longer direct debit, its really not a nice feeling to find via online banking your £x00 pounds down due to a company getting greedy or finger trouble.

In an attempt to save money I bought an LG cookie from phones4u it seemed a reasonable and I was offered a free! (yes alway panick when they use that word free) 30 day topup whereby you can topup your number via a debit card, and all it requires is an email to stop this service… supposedly.

Yes you’ve guessed it they ignore emails or don’t read them properly, hense always keep a copy as their customer support help page always seems to times out causing an error and then a rewrite is needed which just adds to the frustration.

I will now have to get ofcom and CAB involved as this service has run for ni on 7 months despite 3 stop requests via their website customer support.

I would highly recommend Boycotting call centres.

Got to go as my Chinese worry balls have almost turned to dust.

Geoff

8. Des

Voda are the biggest scammers on earth they sum how stop the usage timer to stop at half a gig on a three gig download Dongle and then say you have used 7gig or more and never prove how this can be even thou the screen say you use less STOP USING THESE SCAMMERS IS WHAT I SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Dorf

As this is all mostly happening on PAYG there is a simple reason for this…

Numbers are recycled all the time so therefore the person who had the number before you may have applied these notifications or subscriptions to that number and its just unfortunate that you guys seem to end up with the number still subscribed to the services.

Simple quick fix – call cust services and have them take you of the WINplc subsciption list